Friday, March 9, 2012

Seniors, have you ever stayed in an hotel or eaten in a restaurant when they state that?

the meal includes bread and butter, only to find that it is margarine or low fat spread used on the bread? If so, have you complained and what was the outcome?





I find this happens a lot now. It's as if 'butter' is an all purpose word for something yellow we spread on bread or use with a jacket potato.





It isn't only the establishments I've mentioned above either. Sandwich shops are the same. I bought a ham roll some time ago, at a place where they make them fresh as you wait, and (because some people might not like ANY kind of spread on theirs) I was asked "do you want butter on it"? I said yes and found it was margarine. I stayed in a hotel last year where the breakfast menu stated (amongst other things) bread and butter and toast and butter. The 'butter' provided was individual pats of Flora margarine - and so it goes on, it's happening everywhere.





I thought that our U.K. Trading Standards laws were there to prevent this happening.





I realise that bread and margarine doesn't sound so nice but that's irrelevant. If I ordered beef stew and found that the 'meat' was soya chunks I'd be livid and I reckon they'd lose a court case if sued.





What do you think? Would you have the courage to ask for butter if that is what was stated on the menu but you saw that it was margarine or spread? Would you prefer to see an honest menu which showed clearly that you would be getting margarine or spread?|||Yes, I agree with what you say, the various "spreads" seem


to have become a blanket word for butter.


It is rather like when we hoover up the living room, but do not


necessarily use a Hoover.


I stayed in a hotel in Harrogate last year and found a selection of


individual portions of the various "spreads" on the breakfast table.





I asked for butter and it arrived within five minutes. When I asked


why butter was not put out as a matter of course, the waiter replied


that so many people have diet fashion fads these days, that it


was becoming wasteful to put butter out on the tables.





He went on to say that once butter pats have been out on the tables


for breakfast, they will quickly reach room temperature and the Chef


will then throw them away, so as to prevent problems.





That was a quality hotel and I accepted their reasoning, so it is best


to ask for butter if you want it. After all you are paying the bill!





Sandwich bars on the other hand seem to use the cheapest spreads


available and even cut the filling so thinly, that I have stopped using


all but one, who at least give me what I ask for.





Never be afraid to challenge things, Peggy.


My pal who is a travelling sales rep, made such a fuss at one hotel,


that when he books in, they get butter in especially for him.|||I don't normally eat bread or butter in any restaurants..I go for the good and that is the eat etc..bread and butter is the last thing on my mind..but I I did eat bread butter or toast and butter etc I would demand the right butter,margarine etc or don't eat it at all..=)|||Yes, and get disgusted when a fast food place asks "would you like cheese in that sandwich ?" and my reply is always " you don't have real cheese in this establishment, you serve whipped oil with powdered cheese flavorings in it"|||I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Scotland and there is always a choice of butter or margerine or a low spread alternative.|||I stand on my little flat feet and request butter.Margarine is only two components from plastic,so it is avoided at all costs.|||Certainly sounds like false advertising to me.|||No...I can care less. As long as they bring me my food.|||If they state butter on a menu or advertising leaflet , then it should be butter and i would point it out to a s enior member of staff


Before I retired I used to spend a lot of time in hotels and restaurants and usually there were both butter and a low fat spread like Flora .To be hoones with toast I don't really mind , but with roll or crusty bread I must have butter|||I agree with you on this, and in fact my view is that butter is better for you, so health doesn't come into it. There are pros and cons for the use of butter.





It irritates me (although I know it has nothing to do with your point) when I go into an eating place and your provided with those horrible little plastic containers with milk in rather than a jug of real milk.|||I don't go out often enough to have much experience with this but it seems places I've been don't say butter or any thing on the menu, they just bring whatever they have.I would like to know because I try to avoid all hydrogenated oils and other man made things they try to pass off as food.That's the main reason we eat mostly at home.


You're right, if it says butter then it should be butter.I wonder how one would fare in small claims court like the lady who sued because her car didn't get the stated gas mileage?|||That never happens in Wisconsin, America's Dairlyland, but it happens almost everywhere else.





When I ask for real butter, I am usually told that everyone prefers margarine because it is healthier. I find that hard to believe when those restaurants serve bacon and pork sausage.





I am considering bringing my own butter, and if pancakes, waffles, potatoes, etc. are brought to the table with margarine already on them, I will return them and ask for non-oleo servings to which I can apply my own butter.





Isn't it strange that in this era of promotion of natural food, restaurants are trying to force us to consume margarine which is the least natural product available?





If God did not want us to eat butter, milk, cream and cheese, he would not have given us cows.|||You are in Great Britain where real dairy foods are served daily. I flew on British Airways several times and was impressed by the real butter being served with rolls. Here in the U.S. restaurants rarely serve real butter with bread, this is for long as I can remember, little plastic tubs of watery margarine at best for most of them. Speak up and ask for butter, perhaps they stash it away in the refrigerator for those who request it.|||I really don't know. It's not something I'd bother with as the word "butter' often just refers to whatever is yellow that you can spread on your bread. The restaurant that we go to regularly serves both butte and margarine and it's your choice which to use.



I do see your point. I really do. It's just not something that bothers me. If i felt strongly about it I would ask if they had real butter.|||I would speak up; I see no good reason to remain silent. It might help to ask; "Do you use real butter, or is margarine or other spread used?" before you place an order. If you still get margarine or spread then send it back, because it isn't what you ordered.





I'm not sure about the U.K. Trading Standard laws; but I do think you should ask. Write some letters; to the responsible governmental department, to your member of parliament and to any trade groups related to restaurants. Write an opinion letter to your local newspaper. Fill in comments at restaurant review sites. I don't think you need to use harsh language; many times a well-reasoned opinion letter or comment in a review can sway people, and may even encourage others to ask for real butter.|||Yes I have and, unfortunately, did nothing about it except grumble later to others who could do nothing about it. It was in a hotel and the 'butter' was Flora. I think that must be the favourite spread for many hotels.





If I had been waiting for a fresh ham roll with real butter to be made as I waited I'd have been totally gutted if the butter turned out to be margarine or one of those spreads.





I have some lovely ham in my fridge right now so I think I've decided what's for lunch and I do have some real butter also.|||I stayed in a bed and breakfast establishment in Taunton, Somerset a few years ago. It cost a lot more than I usually wish to pay for bed and breakfast but was close the where I wished to be so decided it would be worth it. As you say, the 'butter' was actually Flora margarine. The menu stated wholemeal bread but it was cheap brown bread. However, what disgusted me more was the fact that the owner bought everything very cheaply from the large Tesco store which was very close by. I have no problems with Tesco generally and shop there myself but...





...I arrived back at the house early one day and he was pushing a large Tesco trolley into his own driveway and it was piled high with all Tesco value products. The bread, marmalade, tea, coffee, were all the cheapest range and things which he'd told us all were homemade by his wife e.g. chocolate puddings, cheesecakes etc. were all from Tesco. He looked extremely embarrassed when he saw me.





If I'd been staying in a budget hotel I wouldn't have thought anything about it because I'd have thought 'you get what you pay for' but I certainly did not get what I paid for at the B%26amp;B place. I'm visiting Taunton again quite soon but am not staying there.





No, to my shame, I did not complain either to him or to trading standards and I know that I should have done so.|||It it's a nice crusty cob,then the a prepacked choice of butter or marg, is usually available,but a couple of slices of 'buttered' white bread,then Heaven knows.


If I was having something like a baked Spud then I wouldn't be happy if it wasn't real butter.


I would think you could compare it being offered Coffee and Cream and being given Milk instead of cream. If the menu states it's butter,then butter it should be and I would think there are grounds for complaint to some relevant part authority|||When I grew up we had both butter and margarine in the house at all times, and I grew up to know the difference. I love real butter. But what you talk about doesn't seem to be recent at all, and most places I frequent will use the words "butter spread" on the menus. Some younger people honestly do not know the difference. It's not something I'd pick for a battle, to be quite frank with you. I can enjoy my real butter on a hot biscuit with real honey at home all I like.|||I always ask for real butter because a lot of restaurants put out patties that look like butter until you read the label. They always comply when we ask. It is economics. The product they put out costs less than half what butter does. It even happens in some restaurants that charge $50 and up for a meal.





We do not use butter or substitutes at home to keep our cholesterol count down but that once a week we eat out, we treat ourselves.|||In years past, I read on a menu or two "margarine used in cooking" ( I think that's what it said, if I remember right. Anyway, I was informed of what we were ingesting,)





I don't suppose it would bother me to ask. I am sure restaurant people are used to the odd question now and then. Lately, because of my husband's heart trouble, I have taken to asking what type of cooking oil is being used in certain places.|||Well, im not a senior, but ive never seen this sorta thing happen. In any event, it would bug me. Cause it means they could call Butter things it is not. Im allergic to dairy stuff so...If I think something has margarine and is actually butter...Well itll be a really interesting couple hours, to say the least.|||Actually, something like Flora is better for your health than full fat butter, so they're doing you a favour (unless you're actually allergic to low-fat spreads...although that is extremely unlikely)|||The only solution I see for you is if you bring your own portions of real butter along with you. Simple!!!


Next on your list??

No comments:

Post a Comment